12/12/2008

Why the hell am I watching this?

So instead of studying for finals, I am watching The Pirates of Penzance--the 1983 one starring Kevin Kline. Apparently this movie is less than 2 hours, but seriously, will it never end? I official declare today that I highly dislike Gilbert and Sullivan and find their material highly tedious and unfunny. Unequivocally, I can say the best part of this movie is Tony Azito as the Sergeant, despite the material.

Seriously, his body posture and movement is absolutely hilarious. Check out his eyes at :45. Also, the real awesome dancing begins 3:13--



The moment I saw and heard this character I felt he was a composite of Sacha Baron Cohen in Sweeney Todd and Richard Roxburgh in Moulin Rouge! Seriously, compare:





Anyway, I guess I'll review some power points or something.

3 comments:

  1. I have to confess that there's a special place in my heart for Gilbert and Sullivan. Not to watch, because G&S are much harder to do well than most people think, so it often falls flat. And by "falls flat" I mean "is extremely painful to observe." In spite of that, those songs are way more fun to sing than they should be. You may judge me for this as you see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't doubt that they're fun to sing, but strung together is a little overwhelming, by which I mean tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough. I will concede to that.

    ReplyDelete