5/06/2009

The Audacity of Rock: Part 9

Let's put a little reggae into this rock.

I'm defining reggae as a mid-tempo music that emphasizes the 2nd and 4th beat of a 4/4 measure especially by a guitar. Or, you know, this.

"Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police

The Police was an adventurous band (with Sting just getting weirder as his solo albums went on). Anyway, this is when they dabbled in reggae, put on school robes and mortar boards, and danced around like idiots. Also, Sting is hot (I don't blame the girl for standing so close).




"Santeria" by Sublime

Probably one of the better acts during the ska-era of the 90s. Classic and well done, this band does reggae rhythm well. And Bradly Nowell's voice is one of my favorites ever.




"No One's Better Sake " by Little Joy

Oh, ironic vintage. I think I'm sick of it already, but these guys have an organ and ponchos, so I'll let it slide.




Questions to ponder:
1. When did you go through your Bob Marley phase?
2. Is it ridiculous to mix rock and reggae, or just awesome?

2 comments:

  1. My Bob Marley phase never ended! I still be jammin' with the rude boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random thought: maybe he didn't want her to stand so close because, as he himself said, "I'll Be Watching You." You can't blame the guy for not wanting to go cross-eyed. I've heard it really cuts down on the sexiness factor.

    ReplyDelete