7/21/2009

The Audacity of Rock: Part 19

I'm totally going to get a girl with this song.

Since the dawn of music (probably), men having been writing songs for the ladies. The most surefire way to get your message of love to the girl of choice is to put the chick's name in the song, preferably making the name the title*. There are so many to choose from, so I picked one from the last five decades.

"Michelle" by The Beatles (1965)

Even the Beatles weren't above using a bird's name in a song--or rudimentary French.



"Alison" by Elvis Costello (1977)

This is one of my default-stuck-in-my-head songs. I'm bound to sing it to any Alison I know.



"Amanda" by Boston (1986)

If you're all, "This sounds exactly like every other Boston song, but with just hint of Power Ballad," I'm like, "That's why it's awesome."



"Valerie Loves Me" by Material Issue (1991)

Apparently bands hated girls' names in the 90s. They're getting raped ("Polly"), rejected ("Molly"), called a whore ("Ava Adore"), or fake ("Josie (Everything's Gonna Be Fine)"), but not loved. Anyway, after way too much "research" here's a 90s song that's kind of an ode to a woman. I guess.




"Kelsey" by Metro Station (2007)

It took long enough to get a song with my name in it. Too bad it's kind of a lame song, in the sense that I doubt they'd actually swim the ocean for me. They didn't even spell my name right, so whatever. They suck.



Questions to Ponder:

1. Why did the 90s hate women?

2. What happened to Jayne?




*I realize most (read: all) my posts for The Audacity of Rock are about dude rockers. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment