3/15/2010

100 Favorite Songs: 76-80

I'm representing all styles today.


76. “Take Me On” by a-ha (1985)

I'm usually not a big fan of falsetto, but when it's used so shamelessly, I can't help but love it. Especially with that sweet, sweet synth line.


Lead singer: A pompadoured Norm McDonald?


77. “How Deep Is Your Love” by The Bee Gees (1977)

Anyone how knows me well knows that I love some really cheesy crap despite efforts to seem cool. Anyway, one of those really cheesy things is the Bee Gees. I love "How Deep Is Your Love" so much. Mosst of that has to do with "And you come to me on a summer breeze" section that might be second bridge because there seems to be more than one, but it doesn't really matter because the entire melody is just so good.


And 2/3 of the group are bearding up. Bonus points!


78. “No Woman No Cry” by Bob Marley & the Wailers (1974)

I really could have put any of the songs off of the Legend compilation, but "No Woman No Cry" is just all encompassing: organ, background singers, politics, nostalgia. Lovely.


I love that you can find live stuff like this on YouTube.


79. “We’ve Got Tonight” by Bob Seger (1978)

I don't think I could resist someone playing this song on a boombox right outside my bedroom window (that currently faces the neighbor's fence). Especially if that person had an epic Bob Seger beard.


Towel.


80. “You Were Mine” by The Dixie Chicks (1998)

People may complain about how gloomy country music can be, but there are times you just want to be sad, you know? Here, the Dixie Chicks give us some sad mixed with some vitriol.


Oh, dear. How do their outfits look so dated already?

No comments:

Post a Comment