4/19/2010

Everyone covers Dylan: "Just Like a Woman"

From Bob's 1966 Blonde on Blonde, "Just Like a Woman." It's the sort of song that blends sexism and affection in such a way as to make it kind of romantic (see also: "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel).

Here's Bob Dylan's version as performed at the 1971 Concert for Bangladesh. George Harrison and Leon Russell play with him.


When beards stop being attractive and start getting whimsical.


Manfred Mann's poptacular chart topping 1966 version:

I don't think I could make this more British if I tried.


Richie Haven's 1974 performance. "Just Like a Woman" starts about halfway through, but I love it in combination to Van Morrison's "Tupelo Honey."


So soothing.


The Hollies in concert, 1969. I daresay they make the song beautiful in a polished sort of way.


You look great in suits, have I told you that yet?


I couldn't find any information on the internets about Marie Cain, although a vinyl copy of her 1976 album is rather expensive. Here's an interesting version of the song that gives it different undertones with a female vocalist.


The album is called Living Alone. Just like a feminist, am I right?


Beres Hammond...because I gotta get at least one reggae cover per post.


Unfortunately, I couldn't find any other information about this version except it appears on Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan, Volume 1. That's right. That's an album.

No comments:

Post a Comment