5/07/2010

You're the Best

I'm mildly obsessed with Joe Esposito's hit song "You're the Best Around," the theme song from The Karate Kid (1984). It's just so damn catchy:


And then I thought I would never love the song more than when used for a working-out-and-taking-steroids montage on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (lame YouTube pulled that sweet clip).

But then I saw its best usage yet: The King on Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007). The fantastic documentary perfectly sets up the reigning champion of the original Donkey Kong, Billy Mitchell, against an up-and-comer who's always been short of greatness his whole life, Steve Wiebe. The immersion into the gaming world is surprisingly engaging, and you ultimately root for the underdog, even if he doesn't have a head of glorious locks. Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.

Anyway, the moment in the documentary when this song started playing, I knew this was one of the greatest films I had ever seen. In dedication to this great work, I embed somebody's Steve Wiebe fan video with the classic song itself:

Seriously. Awesome.

1 comment: