4/23/2012

Live commentarying The Voice: 4/23/2012

Team Adam and Team Cee Lo are up tonight. Let's hope they don't screw it up like Blake and Christina last week and eliminate their best team members.

Sometimes I forget how much I love Billy Joel's music. This is not one of those nights.

1. Team Cee Lo: Jamar Rogers is singing "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi. What a terrible song. I really like Jamar, and he consistently kills as performances. He also embellishes melodies in a classy way that doesn't make me want to stab myself in the throat. Too bad this song is still boring.

2. Team Adam: Katrina Parker sings Christina Perri's awful "Jar of Hearts." Katrina's voice is beautiful, and her delivery is pretty perfect. Well done, girl. I almost like this song.

3. Team Adam: Mathai performs "I Am Like a Bird" by Nelly Furtado. Omg, what? I don't like how Mathai doesn't trust her naturally good tone to sell the song. She starts embellishing weirdly, namely by going flat and pronouncing words oddly. And then jumps around. She'd be good if she calmed things down a bit.

4. Team Cee Lo: James Missoni is singing Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are." Cee Lo knows what he's doing. This is just some straight up teen heartthrob shit without any hint of irony. AND A FREAKING SAXOPHONE. I cannot handle how much I love this performance. His voice is simple and immature in a great way.

5. Team Adam: Tony Lucca sings "Hit Me Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears. J'adore. He brings out the darkness of the song that got lost in Britney's bubblegum version. It's a well written song, what can I say? Tony may be my favorite of the season. He knows his voice and uses it well.

6. Team Cee Lo: Cheesa is up next singing Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing." I love how husky Cheesa's voice is. It's like Sade singing a power ballad. The key change was a little rough, but she's holds it together.

7. Team Adam: Pip is up next singing "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane. I guess we're staying with the vanilla rock of the early 2000s for Pip. Once he gets going, he gets on pitch, and his falsetto is heavenly. Uuuh, he gets worse as he keeps going. Trying harder in this case meant sucking harder.

8. Team Cee Lo: Juliet Simms sings "Crying" by Aerosmith. I keep meaning to sing this song at karaoke, and then I get it confused with "Crazy." SHE'S WEARING WINGS! Amusing. In terms of her voice, she sounds 60s/70s rock fabulous as usual. I adore this woman. She's the perfect blend of Emma Stone and the Black Crowes.

Instant Eliminationz
Team Cee Lo: Cee Lo eliminates James. Awwww. He's such a pleasure to watch, and I'll miss his gentle voice.

Team Adam: Half of this team could go, and I wouldn't care. Adam ends up eliminating Pip. Well done. Pip was clearly the worst of the night, even if he has cute dimples.

What were your favorites of the night?

Random comments:
1. Oh. Carson Daly must have gotten new emotion software installed. He almost looks enthusiastic when introducing Team Cee Lo singing "Dancing in the Street." This musical number is pretty adorable and fun.
2. Goodie Mob is serving up some Earth, Wine, and Fire realness with their costumes.
3. How useless are these Twitter breaks. They make me feel really awkward.
4. I love Cee Lo's "real women don't use autotune" rant.
5. I love that Blake confesses to basically being an alcoholic.
6. John Lennon's "Instant Karma" is a delightful choice of song. Also, it delights me to see Adam on the drums. Also, Tony Lucca has my heart. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment